Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

iOS 5 Tips: Use Assistive Touch to Replace a Broken Home Button, Lock Button or Volume Button


Assistive Touch is a new feature in iOS 5 that allows people with physical disabilities to better use their iOS device. To learn more about AssistiveTouch click here. To enable Assistive Touch go to Settings>General> Accessibility>Assistive Touch and then turn on Assistive Touch. A small round white button will then appear on your screen. When you touch the white button a list of commands will appear including a software home button, lock button and volume up and down button. You can now use these software buttons to replace your broken home button or any other broken buttons. You can drag the white button to different places on the screen for your convenience. Watch the video below to learn more.



17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Hope this help. This goes to show that accessibility doesn't only help people with disabilities.

      Delete
  2. Really important tips to know. We can easily understand the trick from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't got chance to try my hands on this feature but assistive touch feature seems very interesting as this will physically disabled people to use their iOS in more efficient way. The method for doing the same is given here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assistive Touch is broken w/ VoiceOver enabled - and breaks VoiceOver :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This tip saved me from getting a new phone or paying to get my home key fixed! One thing I can't figure out about it is that sometimes the main menu screen on the assistive touch screen rotates itself. How do I fix this back to normal?

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice tip. thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  8. very useful tip! with this function the home button's works is reduced a lot so increase its life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this information its really nice.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much! I've had broken volume buttons for months and found this while tryng to find an up that would allow me to adjust my volume. I can hear my calls again!

    I paired the AssistiveTouch with the triple home click so I can turn the white circle to access it on and off with a triple click. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do you add apps to the favourites in the assitive touch??? I can't seem to do it... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the favorites options in assistive touch is for favorite gestures not for apps. Hope this helped.

      Delete
  14. Hey. I cant seem to find in mu settings the 'accessibility'. Where can i find it? I really have some problems with my menu button. I really need this assistive touch. Can i download it?

    ReplyDelete